Easy (and quick) Potato, Broccoli, Cheese Soup
4 servings worth (feeds 4 very hungry people)
- 4 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
- 1 bullion cube of chicken stock and 4 cups water
- 4 cups broccoli - diced
- 1 cup carrots - diced
- 1 cup celery - diced
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups frozen potato hash/homefries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 7 oz of cheese (I used low-fat cheddar chunks)
- Get a nice big pot, put the sucker on the stove and add in your liquid (chicken stock or water and bullion cube)
- Add in the broccoli, carrots, celery, potatoes, salt and pepper
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes at a nice slow but steady boil
- Combine the milk and flour so they are nicely mixed together - this makes it nice and creamy. Add to the soup, stirring the entire time to thicken the soup.
- Add in the chunks of cheese - so they melt as you add them, keep on mixing.
- Let that sit for another 5-7 minutes
- You can either eat it at this point, or I used my new immersion blender to mix it up just a bit, still leaving a few good chunks of veggies.
- This would be very tasty served with some crusty bread.