One little tip - I ran out of muffin liners so parchment paper works super well, it's not as pretty but in a pinch it worked.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I always use this stuff. Love it!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick of butter - melted
- 2/3 cup warm water (add a bit more if too dry)
- 1 container of plain greek yogurt (5.3 oz or 6 oz one would work too)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- sprinkle of sugar (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400degrees F.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and soda, salt and sugar together so it's well incorporated.
- Add in butter, water, yogurt, almond extract, egg and mix together until there are no dry bits. The mixture should be light and fluffy. Try not to over mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips with a few mixes. Prep your muffin tin with the muffin liners, and spray with cooking spray to ensure its easy to get the muffin out.
- Pour in your mixture evenly between the tins and top with a few extra chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes and check with a toothpick to ensure it's not wet in the middle. If so, pop them back in for another few minutes until the toothpick comes out dry.