refrigerator magnets

refrigerator magnets

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ground Turkey Roll-ups with Corn and Broccoli

Growing up, my mom used to make these things called Roll-ups. My grandma actually came up with them and shared the recipe with my mom. It was a once-a-week staple in my house. There were never my favorite when I was little. I thought they were a little weird but as I got older, I learned to appreciate and savor the roll-up and today, I bring the roll-up to you. 

I didn't have all the ingredients in my house to make them exactly how mom did but that's the beauty of the roll-up, you can use what you have. Sometimes you can add veggies, or cheese or different meats. It's all good. I added a quick little side dish of veggies also. 
Ground Turkey Roll-ups
Ingredients:
  • 1 package ground turkey
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 good squirt of ketchup
  • 1 good squirt of BBQ sauce
  • 1 good squirt of spicy mustard
  • 1/2 cup to a bit more of breadcrumbs (the amount of breadcrumbs you add dictates how wet the meat is going to be)
  • Pinch of salt and pepper
  • 1 package of crescent rolls
Steps:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350degrees.
  2. Mix all the ingredients except for the crescent rolls together in a bowl. Tweak the spices based on your preferences. My mom would base the amounts on whether she thought it smelled good or not.
  3. Lay the crescent roll dough out on the counter flat, pinch together any seams that may have split open
  4. Spread the meat mixture across the dough - covering the entire area up to the edges. 
  5. My mom always rolled up the dough the long way to make more smaller rolls but I rolled up the short way - to make less but fatter rolls.
  6. Either place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of your pan - I used a 9x13 pan but you could use a cookie sheet as well. If you don't have parchment paper - you can use tinfoil that you've buttered.
  7. Slice the roll so you have 8 equal pieces - 8 if you're rolling it the short way, more if you roll it the long way. 
  8. Plop those onto the cookie sheet and cook for about 30-35 min or until the crescent rolls look done. 
  9. Let them cool and enjoy! We always ate them with ketchup or bbq sauce on the side. 
Here's a lovely video of my mom demonstrating her technique and her recipe for these suckers.
A quick side dish... Corn and Broccoli for 2 people

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 shallot
  • 1 pad of butter
  • salt & pepper to taste
Steps:
  1. Sauté those suckers till they are just starting to brown.
Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I wonder if you could make them with the Pillsbury pizza dough... spread the filling on it, roll it up, bake it, and then slice it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably could but there is something about the buttery-ness of the crescent roll dough that makes it so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these were delicious, Jay and I enjoyed them. and you are right, you need to use crescent rolls! i think we'll keep these in our repertoire!

    ReplyDelete