Equal Exchange hooked me up with some of their Organic Cocoa Powder and I thought - bananas, chocolate - yes. I would like to eat that! Equal Exchange is a great brand - we drink their coffee at work and you can feel good about making a purchase with them since it's fairly traded. Yay!
I call this ALMOST vegan because I used butter. Real tasty buttery goodness butter. And real milk. But if you're vegan or need to bake for a vegan, feel free two swap those two out.
Almost Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 Allspice, ground
- 1/2 cup butter (or you could sub with vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 1/2 very ripe bananas, mashed (I leave mine a little chunky because I like biting into a bit of banana)
- 1/2 milk (I used lactaid because that's all I had)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup Equal Exchange Organic Coco Powder
1. Preheat oven to 350degrees
2. Mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
3. In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars so it's nice and creamy
4. Mix in the milk combination, bananas, vanilla extract and almond extract
5. Add in the coco powder till completely combined
7. Add the wet and the dry ingredients together slowly to ensure the mixture is completely mixed
9. Pour the mixture into the pan and spread out evenly. It is a bit thick. (I topped this one with a few sliced almonds b/c it's pretty)
11. Set aside and let cool a bit in the pan, then set on a cooling rack for a few hours till completely cooled before slicing. If you eat it hot - it's a bit dryer than if you let it sit overnight. Just an FYI.
And just because it was beautiful out yesterday, here's a nice shot of Boston I took.